mercredi 6 mai 2009

East, further East !


Hi folks,

I was just getting used to Germany and now... I'm in Poland !
But Let me explain how this happened....

So my last post was about arriving in Gera.

The day after, I took the bike to reach Leipzig, a big city of the DDR.
I was hosted there by Andre, an ex-military guy in the time of the DDR (he did his 3 years military service, nothing more), found of maps, and with who I could discover few things about geography, and the fact that lakes around Leipzig are generally place where coal (charbon) has been taken from the ground!
About history I discovered that Leipzig had been a big place for a battle of Napoleon...

On Friday, after a full day in Leipzig, I went to Torgau by train, then down the Elba to Dresden. Long but easy (flat) day, good weather for a 1st of May !

In Dresden a BBQ was waiting for me at Ans's place, and few other CSers were there too.
I spend the saturday visiting the touristic and less touristic Dresden : Old Town and New Town. I did not visit the other parts of the town, which is 10 km wide or so!

After Dresden, I wanted to go to Goerlitz, the border with Poland, but needed to stop before and wild camp before in Germany. I stopped before the night and before the rain, started again after the day arrived and the rain stopped....

I crossed the Polish border last monday around 2 pm. A bit anxious, not afraid but... it is my 1st time here...
My 1st action was to take some money from a cash machine, and then go East to Legnica or so.
I stopped before, on the road, in a hostel (90 of their money for night and breakfast). After a night of wild camping and with no contact in Poland, I thought it was OK to spend around 20 E for a worm and comfortable shouer and bed.

Yesterday, tuersday evening, I arrived in Legnica, where Zuza waited for me.
I had my 1st contact about Polish life style and habits, could ask about the basic words to say or not, the signs to use or not, ask if I could drink the water from the tap.... all the information to feel at ease in a foreign country...

Today I visited this small town and looked for a book to speak Polish, for a French... I'll look for it again in Wroclaw tomorrow or during the week end !

So that's it for now.... take care and say a big welcome to Eve ;), sorry I had to say that Gillou...

1 commentaire:

Unknown a dit…

effectivement, ca fait tout drole de te savoir en pologne, ce pays parait si loin et si meconnu par rapport à l'allemagne... j'espere que le printemps va continuer de t'apporter des journees pleines de soleil, pour bien profiter de ton velo. il tient bien d'ailleurs? pas de souci?
et quelles sont les habitudes differentes en pologne? comment est la vie? ca te plait?
pour moi, mon stage s'est termine le 30 avril, ma demission a pris effet au 1er mai, je suis maintenant chomeuse! plein d'administratifs a faire, mon cv a ameliore, de l'occupation, quoi! il fait un temps estival a lyon today, mais je crois que des orages vont arriver. demain, 8 mai, ferié ici si tu avais oublié, je pars pour 4 jours a paris, voir mes frangines et mes parents.
bizz, je pense à toi sur ton p'tit vélo!!